RackN Licensing Overview¶
This document outlines the RackN limited use and commercial licensing information and initial setup steps necessary to access license entitlements. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us on Slack, RackN web site, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Limited Use licensing of RackN Extensions for Digital Rebar Provision is provided for individual users or non-commercial teams. These licenses start at 10 machines with 90-day self-service renewal. They allow limited access to all publically available plugins in the RackN catalog.
Commercial Use licensing of RackN Extensions and Support for Digital Rebar Provision is provided to Organizations. License entitlements are enabled by either total count or named module for an Organization. The RackN solution team will need to setup an Organization with the correct license entitlements for you.
Here is a list of the necessary prerequisites that will need to be in place prior to you successfully using any licensed component(s):
- You must have a Web Portal user account that is registered and functioning (sign up if you do not already have one here: https://portal.rackn.io/#/user/signup)
- A functioning DRP Endpoint that is managable via the Web Portal
Insure you are logged in to the Rackn Web Portal (using the upper right “login” button).
Log in to the DRP Endpoint - which will be the username/password authentication dialog in the center of the Web Portal if you are not logged in. If you have not changed the default username and password, click the “Defaults” button, then “Login”.
Overview of Steps¶
The following are the basic steps you need to perform to generate, enable, and use licensed plugins and contents.
- Generate a License
- Enable DRP Endpoints to use Licensed Content
- Install License Plugin Provider
- Install Licensed Content and Plugins
Generate a License¶
The first time that you use a license entitlement, you will need to generate a license. This creates the and starts the license entitlements based on the terms and condidions of your license (content, plugins, duration of license contract, etc.). You will need to perform this step only once for each Organization that you manage that has a license entitlement.
- Select the Organization in the upper left blue drop down. For example: “Foo Industries”
- Shift-Reload your browser to insure the Org change was successful
- Go to the “Info & Preferences” menu screen
- Verify in the center bottom panel that you see a green check mark and the text Foo Industries is a Licensed Organization
- Click on the blue Update License button - there will be a spinning feedback dialog for 10 to 30 seconds
Enable a DRP Endpoint to use Licensed Content¶
Once you have generated a license, you now need to enable each endpoint that will consume licensed content. This will allow for Content and Plugins that are licensed to be imported in to the DRP Endpoint and used for provisioning activities.
The DRP Endpoint you initially generated the license on will also be enabled to utilize licensed content and plugins. You will only need to do this step subsequently for any additional DRP Endpoints that will be using licensed content or plugins.
- Go to the “Info & Preferences” menu item and click on the “Update License” button for any DRP Endpoint that requires licensed content
Install License Plugin Provider¶
It is necessary to install the License Plugin Provider, which works in conjunction with the signed license, plugins, contents, and DRP Endpoint to enable the entitlements specified in the license. To install the Plugin Provider, do:
- Go to the Plugin Providers menu item
- Locate the License plugin in the right side panel (labeled “Organization Plugin Providers”)
- Click on the “Transfer” link to install the Plugin Provider on the DRP Endpoint
- The License plugin provider should now be listed in the “Endpoint Plugin Providers” panel in the center of the page
Install Licensed Content and Plugins¶
Once the above steps have been completed, you may now install licensed Contents and Plugin Providers that you are entitled to use. This process is very simple, and completed as follows:
- Go to the Plugin Providers menu item
- Select the appropriate plugin from the “Organization Plugin Providers” panel on the right
- Click “Transfer” to install the Plugin Provider on the DRP Endpoint
Verify Your License Entitlements¶
The “Info & Preferences” page will show an overview of the licensed Contents, Features, and Plugin Providers that the current organization is entitled to. Please verify you are using the correct Organization to view the licensing rights for that Organization (upper left blue pull down menu item). If you are currently in the context of your personal Portal account (eg. it shows your email address or account), you will NOT be able to view or manage license entitlements.
Additionally, you can view each individual components entitlements from the overview license page.
- Click on the “Hamburger” menu in the upper left (three horizontal gray bars)
- Select “Licenses”
- Click in the body to the right
- General license terms will be shown first
- Each licensed component (feature, content, or plugin provider) will have individual licensing terms and details following the “General” terms
The General terms (soft and hard expire dates) will override each individual license expiration terms.
“Soft” expire is when initial warning messages about subsequent de-licensing of a given feature will occur.
“Hard” expire is the date at which a given featre or term expires and will no longer be active.